Feast and Faith: Celebrating Differences (September 17, 2017)
For this week’s dinner discussion, we are looking at what is means to be different from each other. Below is a prayer with which to start your meal and then discussion questions to explore this topic with your family while you eat.
Prayer - Lord, thank you for creating us. Help us to see you in each other in our differences and similarities. Guide us in accepting each other and celebrating all people. Thank you for making each of us special and different, yet in your image.
Discussion – Romans 14:5-12 asks us “Why do you pass judgment on your brother? Or you, why do you despise your brother?” These questions are hard because it is hard to admit when we do thing like pass judgement or despise people we love. In this passage, we are looking at how these differences are celebrated by God, but sometimes we can get really caught up and distracted by them.
- What is your favorite TV show? What is your best friend’s/brother’s/sister’s favorite TV show? What day of the week is your favorite? What day is their favorite?
- Do you know someone who celebrates different holidays than you do? … eats different food? … worships God differently?
- How do you feel about these differences?
- How do you think God feels about these differences?
- In what ways do you think God wants us to treat differences we see?